At first, I wanted to re-create the Creature; looking at the ways he would have been built in that time period and what materials would have been used. For this, I was mostly interested in the anatomy of the Creature, considering where surgeons would have (and still do) make incisions etc. However, I wanted to avoid the 'Hammer' film from the 50's, which undoubtedly the make-up and prosthetics are brilliant for the generation, it does not ring true to the time period.
Another idea I had was to re-create the laboratory in which Frankenstein built the creature. Over the summer holidays I went to the Science Museum in London and looked at all the equipment with would have been used by scientists (or Alchemists) in the 18th century. I have also collected paintings of scientists in their labs with various instruments.
Pietro Longhi The Alchymist, 1661
After talking to Colin today I think it would be best to stick to the idea of the lab, as it is sticking to my preferred area. However the fact that it was described as 'simpler' irritates me slightly.

No comments:
Post a Comment