Wednesday, 21 September 2011

Instruments and Frankenstein

The search for images of 18th century laboratories is not going particularly well, and I think I need to return to the science museum and perhaps talk to someone there, which may provide more fruitful. The images I keep finding are from horror films, which I wish to avoid as they are hideously imprecise. Perhaps looking at the National Theatre's version of 'Frankenstein' may be a little more helpful. I'm a little worried with the tone/colours which are always implied with these sets; and although Gothic is the genre attached to the book, I don't want to be bogged down with genre too early.

Here are some images from my first trip to the science museum, they are rather ornate, so simplifying them may be easier. Do I also want to recreate some of these objects? Prop making has never been my strong point, and these instruments are elegant and interwoven which could prove challenging for an amateur prop maker. However these instruments will set the scene, and will undoubtedly be integral to a set.

Perhaps making a model box will be a good idea, it will allow me to get a bigger picture of the lab in relation to the stage and what I can or cannot make. Before that though, I need more images. Perhaps basing the set from a painting would be a good idea though.

No comments:

Post a Comment